Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Preliminary Program

This is really fun. I like to dream. See my program here:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dscn5hk_2dwxw2d
It is important to me that Blue (Public) and Yellow (Private) spaces get good sunlight levels. Certain support spaces can be shared between public and student/admin spaces. It is important to me that there be small getaway spaces. Places to be alone for rest, contemplation, or be able to communicate on the phone comfortably with family members. I want to create niches in which sound reducing, comfortable materials and furnishings and an architecture of being away improve the experience for the intensive student. I also feel it is critical for living areas to be away from the work space, at least seperated by floor level.
Living Level
See a complete description of main spaces here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dscn5hk_3fcxdd6

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Anne, In your program I noticed that you have Private next to the double room. Is this an accident?

werner said...

Anne, interesting mix of requirements, from experience?
Why 2 single bedrooms? Are these for the mean people or the ones that snore? This question is really meant for everyone who has double (or more) occupancy rooms: why do you want to share the sleeping experience with a perfect stranger? We need interaction and privacy; what space do we need to be alone, which function can happen in common areas: working, personal hygiene, sleeping, work-out, cooking, eating, reading, watching the news, going for a stroll, ironing a garment, having a soda, taking a break, discussing the work, etc.

Berardi + Partners - Architects and Engineers said...

I'm in Boston now, and I am assuming that from the level of hotel accomodations that have been provided for us... the 'university' would never 'splurge' to have everyone in a single occupancy room. Just maintaining some 'assumed' reality to the program... For everyone in columbus that hasn't left yet... pack your flip flops for the shower, and walking around the room. You might also consider bringing your own towels, the ones at the hotel leave something to be desired... like a purpose!!!

Anne, I think the thought you put into your diagrams is well done. I was considering using multiple levels as well... and I should;ve continued in that direction... now that I have seen yours.

Anne McQuown said...

All,
Interesting comments. I have tried to design personal space into the ground floor, but maybe the sleeping room is best, or both.

Thanks for the warnings Karrick.