Sunday, September 23, 2007

Wrap Stair

I am considering not expressing the landings with the wrap stair, but creating a sloping structure, that encompasses the landings. I feel this is more within the language of the building. I will potentially construct the wrap stair with glass on the steel frame which will cantileaver from the concrete structure of the tower. Instinctively, this may want to be some other material, but it wouldn't be brick, and metal panel is not used elsewhere in the building.

1 comment:

werner said...

Anne, I like the development of your elevations, although I don’t quite understand the curtain walls on the north-east side of your building. Your two buildings don’t look like “boulders” anymore, more like buildings. I’m not sure if this a good thing however. I think the development of the wrapping stair without expressing the landings is a good idea. I could see it clad in brick and make it part of a strong brick volume. The transitions from brick to curtain wall need careful consideration, both on the corners and head and sills. Do you plan on a 0”-thickness change at the corners and not express floors on the glass? Or would you rather want to frame the glass?
I would still like to see your pattern making with the bricks (jingo bricks)